"Integrity is telling myself the truth. And honesty is telling the truth to other people.” author Spencer Johnson


Tuesday, November 23, 2010

5 Tips For Working With Digital Photography

About 5 yrs ago I didn’t dream of ever using a digital camera! I loved, loved, loved my film camera. Then out of the blue my husband gave me one for my birthday. It’s been an adventure ever since.

One area that I absolutely need to grow in with regards to digital photography is using my Adobe Photoshop Elements. Yes, I have it on my computer. No, I’ve never used it. It scares the stink out of me. I think I need a week vacation from life to sit on a computer and dive in head first!


So, what am I doing in the mean time? Here are 5 tips that you can do as you get ready to dive into using Adobe Photoshop Elements:


1) Start checking out bloggers who use it and give FREE tutorials. I am signed up for emails from The Coffee Shop Blog and The Pioneer Woman has tutorials as well. When I get the emails, I have a mail slot specifically for Photoshop Ideas that I can go back to someday when I have boatloads of time and learn to use each idea. Their ideas help us do the work later. It’s invaluable!


2) Begin small. There are some good websites out there that can get you started on the basics of editing and doing fun things with your photos. You don’t have the ability to tweek and play as much with your photos but you get some hands on experience before playing with the big boys! I have to warn you, once you get started, you may have a hard time stopping. Photo editing options are unlimited!


3) Learn the functions of your camera. I know that sounds basic, but I’m still monkeying around with mine. It has a lot of functions and I’m clueless. Maybe sign up for a photography class because they will be able to give you some fantastic pointers on your camera’s capabilities. Making sure your photos are transferring from your camera with good settings to Adobe Photoshop Elements will make editing it much easier.


4) Have 2 cameras. I know, that might sound goofy, but trust me it would be handy to have 2 different types of camera bodies. I have a full size digital camera that is big and bulky. I can’t keep it on me all the time. On the other hand there are times when I want to be able to do more than just point and shoot, so my full size camera does the job it was made to do.


5) Have folders specific to each event, holiday, activity, etc. Creating folders in your computer makes managing them so much easier. Thankfully my camera downloads my photos by date, but from there I put them into groups of their own. It cuts down on my search time and we could all use those extra minutes in our too short days!


6) I know it was only going to be 5, but I think when dealing with digital photography, this is an absolute MUST! BACK-UP YOUR PHOTOS! Whether it’s an external hard drive, burned to a CD, or what-have-you, make sure these photos are somewhere else other than your computer. Once they’re gone, it’s hard and sometimes impossible to get them back! Save yourself a lot of heartache and have them in a secondary storage!


I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Adobe blogging program, making me eligible to receive a $50 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Mimi. We met last night at the Twitter Party and I just wanted to pass by your blog and leave my footprints. I look forward to networking with you and getting to know you through your blog. Have a blessed Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment! If you are entering a Giveaway PLEASE leave a way to conact you such as mnjesusfreak at gmail dot com or some other form like that to avoid spammers. Blessings to all who visit.